Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Expectations of the Office

It's always interesting to encounter people who feel they are "owed" something from the church.

The man came in one afternoon, demanded to see the pastor, (me) who was out visiting parishioners. The office staff (who did not recognize him) refused to give him my home phone number or the parsonage address (God bless level headed office ministry staff!) but he finally left with the assurance I would call him.

Saturday morning I did. The phone was answered with some anger over how long it took me to call him, "a member" (who never attends worship, is not on our roster, nor recognized by 15 year veteran staff) because he needs to meet with me because he is depressed but refuses to see a counselor.

Hmmm....

Sometimes its hard to love people through difficult times when they show little respect for others. I agreed to one pastoral counseling meeting, which will occur tomorrow. But it is difficult not to approach it with a bit of a chip on my own shoulder. God help me to be present to this person!

2 comments:

Chris Duckworth said...

Bless you! This man's sense of entitlement despite not being part of your community reveals obvious needs, and I hope you can offer him some support . . . and then nudge him toward a therapist or social worker . . . Good luck!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

yikes. hope all went better than expected and that the Spirit worked in you, and in him... (sigh)