Thursday, July 12, 2007

Expectations of the Office: Growing Edge

Well, he didn't show. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but I am torn between relief and a bit of sadness.

Whatever made him stop in to ask for help, maybe the desperation, maybe the 5 beers he had on his breath... the bravado must have left or the immediate situation got better- so he didn't feel he needed to talk to someone anymore. I am saddened, because it sounded like he really could have used a listening ear.

I am relieved as well, an a bit ashamed of this, because I tend to have little patience with people who demand things from me. I was worried about my reaction to his need. I guess this is a big place for me to grow pastorally: patience and grace.

So, I continue to lift him in prayer and others who are in similar places in life. And maybe, he will stop by again, hopefully looking toward the future rather than buried in the past.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I identify a lot with your situation. It's frustrating when people are only able to blame others for their pain. I hate that dance of trying to figure out if it's worth it to have a conversation with someone because he's too drunk - but is he ever not going to be drunk...or at least have a few beers in him? I hate the feeling that comes when someone accuses "the church" of not caring or not being able to help...when I know that caring doesn't mean fixing everything for them - but that's what they mean by "help." I know this in my head, but it still settles in the pit of my stomach.

Hmm - sounds like I need to blog about this myself :) Anyway - I'm with you - good job at being willing to be present, even in a disagreeable situation.