Wednesday, May 23, 2007

visions of the kingdom...

This last weekend I took part in the coolest pastor installation service I have ever witnessed. (never mind that I can probably count the number of installation services I've attended on one hand...)

My friend and colleague is at a small and very rural congregation that has left the mainline denomination- so... there was no official representative there to officiate. While he used the traditional service, his approach was novel and wonderful.

He invited each pastor in the town ministerial to attend and asked them to take part in the service. We ranged from catholic priests to retired ordained pastors to self appointed preachers.

As we all gathered around the small altar to lay on hands and pray for our new colleague the spirit was moving. (for some, moving in tongues... this skeptical Lutheran just marveled at that one)

And then we all shared the peace with one another afterward- even the uber-conservative- women-should-never-be-preaching-to-men guy shared peace with me.

It was pretty amazing. And my friend celebrated his call from God, his love for his new congregation and his affirmation of his community colleagues.

I can't imagine another way to begin serving as a pastor in a community. For a brief moment, we caught a glimpse of the kingdom of God.

No comments: