Monday, May 14, 2007

Techno-who?

So...
I have been working under the assumption that I am somewhat techno-media savvy. I mean, here am I- blogging, using search engines, finding info on the great world wide web. I appreciate the tools the Internet offers.

But... I just do not get facebook and myspace. I have a facebook page. I really couldn't tell you why, except that it seemed the thing to do. I don't know why I need one. Especially since I see my husband and friends relatively regularly or I email them. I have come to the sad and somewhat scary realization:

I am old and curmudgeon-y. Sigh. I guess it was bound to happen.

I mean really, what is the point of high schoolers (in a school that graduates 30 kids per class) all having myspace pages even though they see each other almost all waking hours of the day? Here is a place where I am worried about the Internet taking the place of meaningful relationships. Really. Will soundbites on a blackboard or a wall push out good conversation? Am I worried about nothing?

3 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Maybe I am also a card-carrying member of the stick in the mud club, but I think you're onto something. Real intimacy vs. perceived intimacy - doesn't the church have a way-cool opportunity to reclaim the gift of community & helping folks value & make real-life connections?

Anna Sorenson said...

Well, I too have myspace and facebook. Myspace hasn't captured my imagination. Facebook, on the other hand, has reconnected me with friends from high school and college and helps me keep up with my college aged sister, who is apparently either much too busy or much too cool to ever call or phone. But she does message me. I see it as another tool to communicate with people all over. Will it replace face-to-face? I doubt it. I facebook, im and texting have replaced note passing in class tho

PPB said...

I'm a facebooker, too. Hey, you should join our clergy chicks group! If I knew your real name I'd friend you! I love facebook for one thing: it helps me keep up with the birthdays. I love the birthday feature.