Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Seeking simplicity

I find myself irritated by the long lists of things that must be completed by the end of this day. Like many of my friends and colleagues, I am frustrated because I remember a time where I relaxed into and soaked up this time of Thanksgiving. I recognize that the dream sequence in my mind of "Christmas Story' like muted colors and bells chiming in the background is really in my head. But the longing has tapped a deeper need.

When our lives are so full- full of lists, of planning, of visits, or caring for others, of planning others' time of space and worship... the need to be embraced by the holiday of security and warmth only grows.

It is often a struggle to find Holy Ground during these holidays (not to mention good holy grounds- that weak Lutheran coffee only abounds!) especially when our feet rarely touch it.

May your longing reach out to others who are longing also- as our souls seek a place of warmth.

2 comments:

St. Inuksuk said...

And may our Lord meet you in his longing and yours.
Delurking this week and praying your Thanksgiving will be graced!

LutheranChik said...

Delurking this week -- I know what you mean. Our parish is VERY busy, and between the things I'm responsible for there, at my job and in my personal life, my head is in a constant spin these days. I'm hoping that observing Advent mindfully this year will be a grounding influence.

BTW -- if you want some great coffee, try the Just Coffee brand Fair Trade Ethiopian...it's a very smooth, mellow roast that you can brew a little on the strong side and it's still very drinkable. Kaffee advice from one Lootern to another, you know.;-)