Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Preparing for a Holiday

We are going on Holiday... this was a term I first came across when I lived in Europe. The diverse community of expats and residents in that country always referred to time away as "going on holiday."

In the US - we call it vacation. It does have a very different tone: vacation- to vacate a place - or to go on holiday- to go to holy days- to find holiness.

As I prepare to vacate this town and this work (which, never really is vacated) for a week - the days leading up to the holiday are pressured. It is almost as if the world is telling me that I cannot leave, I can't vacate. There is too much to do. To many fires to put out. To much brokenness to help mend. Too many problems to solve.

And I grow weary. Because now, I can't vacate. These things will come with me. They will be in my computer, in my calendar, in my ever-list making head...

How then, do we not attempt to vacate, but instead honor the holy days ahead?

4 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

excellent ponderings... i myself am doing the same late next week. sometimes i just have to 'pretend' all the other stuff isn't happening...so i can enjoy the moments of where i am. all the "stuff" of ministry will be here still...whether i am away or not...

honor the holy days ahead:
- no voice mail checks
- no cell phone "on"
- leisurely paced; as in no wristwatch wearing
- diving into things; experiences; sights; sounds; foods...
- no shop talk

those are my mini thoughts to holiday by. have a wonderful holiday - a holy time - a time of rest & re-creating!

Amy said...

Have a wonder time away. And glad you liked the book.

Stop by the party if you can on your way back through.

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that you will find peace and happiness where you are headed. Enjoy the journey and relax at your destination. Seek out a library when you get there and many surprises will appear before you!

Kathryn said...

I'd never really considered the different emphasis of vacation...guess I'd thought of making space, vacancy in the diary.
Holy days are worth seeking at home or abroad...Do hope you find them on your break.