Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday Five: Meetings, Meetings

In honor of a couple of marathon meetings Reverend mother attended this week:

1. What's your view of meetings? Choose one or more, or make up your own:
a) When they're good, they're good. I love the feeling of people working well together on a common goal.
b) I don't seek them out, but I recognize them as a necessary part of life.
c) The only good meeting is a canceled meeting.

I'd have to go with a). And I might clarify: when they are run well, facilitated well, and there is a spirit of hope and mission. Since I am not a particularly creative individual, I am happy to put energy and hope into process: administration can be a great gift!

2. Do you like some amount of community building or conversation, or are you all business?

If we are only all business, then nothing to do with community and conversation will ever be developed. I had a new member of our staff relate a comment she made to her spouse: "we don't get anything done at staff meetings! I mean we pray, we check in, we read devotions and go through the calendar, but there are no lists to check off!"

3. How do you feel about leading meetings? Share any particular strengths or weaknesses you have in this area.

To be honest, I'd rather lead a meeting, if for no other reason then the fact that I know how. Meetings need to be facilitated well with a clear leader who keeps us on task, respects every person and the time that is given to the meeting. Time for discussions and airing of grievances is better after the meeting perhaps one to one.

4. Have you ever participated in a virtual meeting? (conference call, IM, chat, etc.) What do you think of this format?

Not as big of a fan. Soooo much can be learned from facial expressions and body language. So much- it's almost as important as the topic itself.

5. Share a story of a memorable meeting you attended.

Are you ready? Drum roll please: The council meeting that was under an hour.

1 comment:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oohh under an hour... you're good... so very, very good!