Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Holy Ground: 6 years of Ministry

It's hard to believe that we have been revenging for 6 years now.

So much has happened since then. The day the attack happened, I had just started seminary. Strange to think that my entire training and ministry has taken place during a time of war.

As I read, studied, communed, learned, preached, and witnessed it was always in a context of a war; of a time of revenge; in a time of getting back at the bad guys... whoever they may be, because they seem to change often based on whether or not they have what we want.

So after 6 years of a weight that has overtly and silently sat on my and the whole world's shoulders, I can't help but wonder:

What is it like to preach the gospel in a time of peace?

4 comments:

Jules said...

I don't know either. I was beginning my last year of Seminary on that day.

I hope to preach in a time of peace, soon.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

no such thing as a time of peace in the "war-time vs. no war-time (peace)" line of thought... biblically however it is always a time of peace because peace means there is always the presence of hope!

Auntie Knickers said...

Good point, Hot Cup Lutheran. I am 59 and can't remember a time of peace, if it means there is no war anywhere. We need the hope, that's for sure.

Kathryn said...

I'm another who began vicar school that week...I was driving back from my interview with the Principal when the BBC interrupted normal broadcasts with the news.
I'm afraid that the war feels very distant and unreal much of the time here...to our shame, it's easy to forget.