Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Summer is here...

The birds are singing, the thunderstorms crashing, the lawn is growing, the fish are jumping and... the puppy stinks.

Last year she had an, ahem... aroma rising from her back end and it's back again. Our wonderful vet claims he can teach me to "squeeze the glands" to rid her of this unpleasantness. Right.

Well. I saw the look on her face last year, and I am confident that the vet can do a better job. 75lbs of unhappy puppy is not something I wish to wrestle with. Can you imagine accidentally squeezing some of the stuff onto your eyebrows? Shudder.

But, I cannot claim exemption from this summer phenomenon:

What is it about having polyester clerical shirts, anyway? They don't breathe! Plus, they usually look terrible without a sweater or jacket over them. As we move into summer months, I forgo the robe and heavy vestments- no need for the pastor to faint during the Eucharist- but then there is the issue of the collar shirt and sweat stained attire.

Alas, I need to remember this complaint when I am wearing 17 layers of clothing in January...

4 comments:

youngandcollared said...

ugh, ditto - I seriously dislike the way these shirts are made. For $45-$55 you'd THINK we could get a decent button-down clergy shirt... perhaps made of something natural, with quality seams, etc...

Terri said...

I too go with out alb and formal vestments in the summer. I do still wear a stole...so, I purchased a sleeveless cotton black women's clergy shirt from WomenSpirit. It's great for those hot summer days, especially our more casual outdoor services in June and July. (That is if you are OK going sleeveless). But even it is A-line, with no attempt to be fitted.

Unknown said...

Poor puppy and poor you!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Worse to me than the poly thing is the fact that clerics are really truly like mini-turtlenecks - they hold the heat in! In July... not a gift I need. I've been wearing the robes but tanktops & skirts underneath... (don't tell my mother.)

Glands...yeah Mohca Java has that uh issue. beleive me... it's worth the $ to get them "expressed" regularly by the vet or vet tech!