Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ecumenical Relations

Our small town clergy gathering is always an interesting one. As the only female and the youngest by about 20 years - the dynamic is very strange.

In make up we have a rather varied group with three conservative protestants: varying in conservatism and congregation size, two mainline protestants and a RC priest. Let's just say the group is diverse. I am the newest member of the group: 2 years I've been here now, and I have found myself in the role of: secretary, announcer, convener, copier, coordinator, press releas-er, facilitator and general light the fire under the guys' asses -er.

Yet I still don't have my name on the emergency fund checkbook. WTF?

Guess I keep hitting that small town glass ceiling. Words of widom? Anyone?

4 comments:

youngandcollared said...

No words of wisdom here, sorry. I despise going to meetings like that. I'm pretty much in your boat, 'cept I'm 24 and only on internship. But next year when (god willing) I'll be ordained... well, I can just see it getting worse. Middle-aged, white men going on and on about the size of their... church buildings...

Amy said...

During my internship it somehow fell to the young, female intern to make copies and be host at those times anything extra was needed to be picked up. It wasn't an assigned job, but one the older white guys just assumed for me. It was difficult, but after talking it over with my supervisor and two of my younger friends of the group (one male, one female), I decided to just name the problem. "Hey, we're regularly running out of the copies of things we need for this text study."

The answer quickly came, "well, you can always make copies."

"Yes, but then I miss out on hearing the scripture read aloud and that is really important to me."

"Well, you can just come earlier."
(Gah! I know...I was livid at this....but somehow maintained my head).

"What I'm saying is that I don't think this is my problem...but an issue for the entire group to resolve...not just me."

"Oh."

It dropped.
The next week someone else brought a stack of extra copies.

There were other possible methods to solve the issue. I would have been willing to teach a couple people how to use the copier and offer up my keys. There were other people there who had access.

In my current situation I've had to name loudly, clearly and repeatedly that I am not a pastor that specializes in youth ministry. I don't really enjoy it. I enjoy one on one conversations w/ kids...but in our ecumenical functions I will not be the one to organize the youth events. That sometimes gets frustrating.

Okay - I need to push off now...I have one of those ecumenical meetings today.

Good luck.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Do they ALL have their names on the emg. checkbook? If so fight for your right to paarrrtyy... ok I'm silly it's late in the day.

Seriously I'd be as direct with them as you are comfortable being.

Gene said...

I think you should bring it up directly. If you're going to be an equal member of the group then there should be a reason why your name isn't on the checkbook.