Tuesday, June 19, 2007

cliffs notes for bookclubs?

Since reading time is hard to come by these days... I am rather picky about the books I read.
I want to know that I will like the book, because I am jealous of my time and want to be entertained.

In order to counter this tendency, I began a book club at the church. Our goal was not so much to read Christian literature but to read book whose authors have a story to tell that can enhance our lives as Christians.

This has been really a good experiment, but the one drawback to book clubs is when I really don't like the book, when I really can't finish it, (or I am drawn to re-read the 5th Harry Potter book in anticipation of the movie release) I feel really, really guilty. Like I've skipped a test.

(yes, oldest child syndrome is kicking in; yes, I am anal-retentive; yes, I turned in all my assignments on time)

And I am really, really bored by the current book.

I can't get past page 57.

I am leading a discussion on it Saturday. Sigh.

3 comments:

Amy said...

It's not Gilead is it? I hated that book. Only book I've ever returned. I didn't even make it to page 57 though.

I too have started a book club at church. On Sunday we'll be discussing The Life of Pi.

For my non-church book club we're reading Eat, Pray, Love....I'm only 20 chapters in (out of 108...short chapters)...but I'm loving it.

Good luck. I hate books I can't get into. It's dreadful.

Backwoods Rev said...

OMG It totally is! It feels like a really long pastoral visit. I don't like books that don't engage me. It's like someone is talking just to hear themselves speak.

How is that prize winning? Just narcissism?

And well, I got a little bored in the life of Pi- but made it through that one!

Pastor Peters said...

I didn't finish any of these books. And I am also the first born. I usually finish everything and do everything ahead of time. Don't feel bad though. How did it go?