Monday, March 19, 2007

My Lord What a Morning

Though it seems like terrible timing to take a 2 1/2 day holiday during Lent, waking up this morning with sunlight over the water, coffee brewing, scones baking (thank you, wonderful husband and partner) and the (electric) fireplace uh, flickering... well 3 outta 4 ain't bad...

Let's just say life is beautiful.

I often forget that just when I think I cannot take the time away- when there is so much to do- when there is so many people who need me- well that is exactly the time when I need to have a morning of good coffee and wonderful baked goods.

As the role of pastor becomes more familiar, I can plan for these much needed breaks- for instance, knowing that a mid-March renewal would make the rest of Lent, Holy Week and Easter a better experience for all, especially the worship leader.

Perhaps that is the Lenten discipline to follow: Giving up my self-fashioned sense of self-importance- giving up worship planning, newsletter writing, council mediating and pastoral visiting for simply two days.

Perhaps this is a road less traveled by us pastor-types? This morning- it has made all the difference.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now why didn't I think of that? Maybe next year...

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

We (pastors) become - well honestly - resentful when we fail to rest - renew - rejuvenate. Good for you!!