Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Forbidden Word

The Lenten Controversy that surrounds the speaking of Alleluia has always escaped me. What's the big deal? (I know my seminary worship professor is likely experience heart difficulties right now.)

But seriously: There are 40 days of lent- there are 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter. That gives us Sundays- the day that we celebrate the resurrection each week- even during lent. If you ascribe to high liturgy- during lent - including Sundays- we cannot: say/sing/think Alleluia, have any baptisms, any weddings, or really any kind of celebration.

While I get the importance of steeping ourselves in the seriousness of the season, are Sunday worships ruined by the Alleluia addition? Is this blog in trouble because I am writing it?

Last Sunday we sang Alleluia with abandon- it was only my Catholic Husband who made a big deal out of it- we were celebrating outdoor ministry- and frankly, it's hard to find jump around campfire songs that don't have some form of Alleluia in it!

This post comes from a deeper seeded worry- should I be paying more attention to this liturgical tradition?

3 comments:

youngandcollared said...

I'm on internship with a senior pastor who wouldn't know liturgical tradition if reached over and grabbed him by the cincture. I get into liturgy and tradition in the Lutheran church because it speaks to me, and because I know the history. Trouble is, it doesn't speak to everyone, and hardly none of your parishoners will know the history... I guess its about picking your battles, and being conscious of the liturgical traditions without being obsessed with them? I dunno, I'm still in seminary, don't quote me...

Pink Shoes said...

I've been leading/facilitating a Bible study this Lent that boils down to a discussion of adhering to the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law. It's been a good reminder to look at things I do -- whether related to liturgy or laundry -- and wonder why I do them.
I think the omission of the woo-hoo word can be either. Where I serve we make a conscious effort to not use it in worship, but will still have a baptism, wedding, etc., if that's what works for the family.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

I don't consider myself hi-liturgy but maybe I am. We skip the word in Lent... but silly me we did sing one 2 weeks ago after which I broke out into a fit of laughter while leading worship. Anyhow... one thing we do for a children's sermon is we "bury the alleluias" on the 1st Sunday of Lent. The children make banners or we use big letters to spell the word out and bury them in a big, ugly box & keep referencing it all during Lent. On Easter morning we "unbury" them to find a surprise... one year butterfly-shaped balloons came out, one year trumpeters... this year a lamb. A real live wooly little lamb! It is fun to see their surprise & use it as a teaching moment. It might not be liturgical but it is fun!