Monday, October 30, 2006

Mondays... Holy Grounds

I love Mondays. I used to dread Mondays, so I find that parish ministry has given me the gift of reclaiming this day. It is, historically, the day of the moon, and in our busy western culture, the first day of the work week.

But for me, Monday is my Sabbath, a day of rest and renewal. It's my day to stay in my pjs a good portion of the morning, enjoy wonderful dark, fair trade coffee, read the news online and clear out the clutter from my head and soul.

And in many ways, isn't that what the Sabbath was created for? Yes it is a day of rest, a day dedicated to God, but God didn't encourage this for God's sake, but for our own. Sabbath time. I think that this is a good mission for the world. All the overworked people, all the frazzled parents, all the folks who work three jobs and then come home to care for children and aging parents.

How can we encourage Sabbath without making it another thing to add to the week's list?

For now, however, my energy will be giving toward the lovely coffee and the faint, yet beautiful sunlight filtering in the window. Mission: Sabbath for All! will begin tomorrow.

No comments: