Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

This has been a difficult date for me over the past 15 years since my father died.
I know it is a difficult day for many people as they sort through sometimes very complicated relationships with their dads.

But I found a new light, a new perspective today.
I got to celebrate, quietly, so the child would not awaken, a first father's day with my husband.
Ironically we both rose early this morning (more that we couldn't get back to sleep after the 4:30 am feeding) and talked, laughed and giggled like we hadn't in a long time.

With the sunlight streaming in, he opened his father's day cards and gifts with an enthusiasm I had not seen for some time. It was a good, good morning. Even if I had to rush later to get ready for worship.

What an honor to celebrate with a new father today.
What a joy to look in at our son, overwhelmed with love.

A little part of my broken heart mended today, as I watched the father of my son who shares his grandfather's name.


Amy said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Remembered, not forgotten.Stories shared with laughter and love. Life goes on. But a part of your DAD will always be there in words shared, or in a resembled look.
Love, MOM

Emily Cole said...

Crying! (Again!)

I never met your dad but I feel as though I have, because I know you.

Love you!