Wednesday, July 09, 2008

They'll let anyone in that church

I think many of us bloggers dream of the day when our ramblings could be collected into a small but endearing story book about the life and times of what ever it is we do when we are not blogging.

As a pastor, I have found that I often find material for that book. It is a helpful exercise, really, because it often allows one to rise above the actual incident as we think: "that's a good one for the book I will someday write."

Here is a recent gem:

It was said to me by a woman who rarely comes to worship because her husband requires around the clock care. When she asked a family friend to look after him while she attended Sunday service, she asked if he went often any more. He looked at her with distain and said, "They'll let anyone in that church."

To which she replied, Yes, even you are welcome!

Don't you just love it?

Can you just imagine the evangelism that could be done with that phrase? I couldn't be prouder to serve a congregation that will let anyone and everyone in!

4 comments:

Pastor Peters said...

i love this story so much. it makes me giggle.

Pastor Eric said...

I do love it...great story. After all...this is what the church is supposed to be about. Thanks for the post.

btw...LoieJ from Proclaiming Softly recommended your blog to me.

Dr.John said...

Sometimes it is the things you don't say that make good stories. A lady who hadn't been to church confronted me one Sunday because I hadn't visited her at home in a long time. She said " You know Pastor I haven't seen you in a long time." to which I wanted to answer " But I'm here every Sunday." but I didn't.

Diane M. Roth said...

I love this story, and it turns out it will fit my sermon (about the crazy gardener sowing seeds where we wouldn't) just right!

by the way, you were recommended to me as well.