Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Five: Summer Reading

Yes, Yes, it has been a while since the last Friday 5, but nothing like summer to start again! (That, and waiting for my Sunday supply accompanist to call so I can practice the hymns with her... sigh. I am so type A it is ridiculous!)

This week, then, a Summer Reading Friday Five.
1) Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?
Well, summer is as good as any season for reading! I don't seem to have much more or less time to read, but often I do find winter a better reading season... less ability to sit on the porch until 10pm drinking a beverage.

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?
Not that I am aware of. I rarely fall asleep reading anywhere. I've been known to stay up until 3:30 am finishing a book.

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?
Any and all things Madeline L'Engle.

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?
Fantasy. I just devour these books. Literally. I can finish a lovely little book in 3 hours and feel perfectly restored!

5) What is the next book on your reading list?
The Year of Living Biblically, by A.J. Jacobs- what promises to be a hilarious account of a lapsed Jew reclaiming the literal aspects of his and Christian faith. I'm excited.


What are your favorite summer reads: past and present?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read George R.R. Martin? We're eagerly awaiting his next fantasy volume.

Amy said...

Ooo - I would concur with George R. R. Martin. His 3rd book is waiting for me to finish all the pre-contextual ed reading I have to do in the next week.

Diane M. Roth said...

I used to read Ursula LeGuin, but I haven't gotten into anybody lately, in the fantasy genre. sad but true.