Friday, March 14, 2008

Calendars: containing or coping mechanisms?

Alongside my calendar I have a scheduling book. It is a simple composition book, with the paper held in with a string so it is not easy to rip out a page.

It is in this book, I carry my life. I write the week at the top of the two page spread, and begin writing all my tasks for the week, bulletins to form, people to visit, confirmation to plan.

I carry this book along with my calendar- they just fit in my work bag, alongside my laptop.

My husband makes fun of me, and tells me I live by my calendar, but it isn't true. I live because of this schedule book. Every time I wake up in the middle of the night, knowing I should talk to someone, re-arrange communion or have a sermon idea... I write it down.

THEN... I can fall back asleep

2 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

that's brilliant. I have a similar plan, but it's not as contained, which I've often wanted. brilliant.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

dang girl you're organized. i have stacks of post-it notes on my desk; a calendar i can't find half the time; and usually a pretty laid-back 'oh yeah did i have something on the books today?' waking thought...

but hmmm a book like yours might help stave off those pesky chest pain/anxiety attacks.