Sunday, October 07, 2007

Holy Grounds: Rainy Sundays

The past few weeks have left a mark- so it wasn't a surprise that I woke up at 3am this morning worrying about the worship service where:
A. we were trying something different, again. (would people walk out again?)
B. We have started another "low attendance season" aka. The hunting seasons begin...
and
C. the vocal complainers would be present and looking for their "suggestions" to be implemented.

Yeah, I worried about that for about an hour or so. Climbed back into bed, put my cold feet on my husband (he's still pretty good about that, maybe after 5 more years of marriage though..) and proceed to have scary dreams about the service.

Really scary.
Like showing up naked and forgetting the sermon - scary. (which is worse? Hard to say)

After a swift make-up job to mask those eye bags, I was off to church- adrenaline flowing.

And...

It all went well. No one walked out. (of course certain people didn't show either... their loss) A couple of duck hunters actually arrived (promises of good food in the freezer!) and complainers were (for the most part) satisfied.

But the thing that still constantly amazes me is how I always love my job during and after worship. The people, the hugs, the prayers, the songs, the conversations, the children, the grandparents. All of them served me today in reminding me that God is still calling me to this life of mine.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sometimes Saturday nights are hell. Some in your congregation obviously know what a gift you are to them - the gift of a person who takes her call seriously.

It's not easy though, is it...

Anna Sorenson said...

Backwoods Rev,
I've heard many in your congregation say what a blessing you are to the community! I hope they are telling you too.

Is there a litany for a blessing of the hunters and thanksgiving for the food it provides? That would be very cool and I think it would really touch people that their church and their pastor takes those things seriously and integrates it to their faith life.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

1) isn't it great to have your call affirmed in worship, through worship - of course it's affirmed in worship!

2) maybe you should have made for you a flourescent orange stole for the opening of hunting season...

3) any makeup tips for covering up those dark circles under the eyes? they have plagued me too recently!