Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Holy Ground: Snowy Ground

It's Wednesday- the busiest day of the church week. I have three sermons to write, two worship services to get in bulletin format, a funeral service to plan, a family to meet, muffins to bake for the Easter breakfast, council retreat to plan and a dog to walk.

There are 6 inches of freshly piled up snow, with bright sunshine and fierce winds. All I want to do is curl up with my steaming cup of coffee and make soup.

I'm not so certain about this north land living. Just as we were ready to suffer through last week of solid rain, we now have snow. In some ways this is good- the fire watch teams will have another couple of days of breathing easy- they predict a very busy summer. The rivers and lakes will rise a bit- which is good for here, not necessarily places south.

But I'm not sure I will ever get used to Easter preparations while wearing my snow boots and skiing to church. It's a whole new experience to equate Easter with snow rather than spring flowers. Perhaps this gives us a glimpse into the celebrations of our southern hemisphere sisters and brothers.

3 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

It was always the unpredictability that got to me -- one year it would be snow and the next it would sunshine and spring hats. Perhaps this is why I put such little stock in having a new spring outfit for Easter!

Unknown said...

We have snow here tonight, so I am sharing your feelings, though not the skiing!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Mmm yes put the coffee on - an entire pot. Sounds like you will need it... as do we all. Blessings on your services - snowy & all.