Thursday, February 07, 2008

Holy Grounds: Ashes to Ashes

The honor and weight of imposing ashes initially came as a surprise to me. Somehow during my seminary training I never marked others with ashes myself on Ash Wednesday. Since I have been at this congregation, that duty has gone to me.

Last night the imposition of ashes was very weighty. My role as worship leader became very, very difficult. For me to hear the words is one thing: Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

For me to give out the words and the ashes is entirely different.

To remind people of death, to mark innocent babies, hopeful youth, a new mother, a wizened grandfather... and especially the woman fighting with cancer...

Well, it was like placing a death sentence on their hopes. I don't want to mark their lives. I don't want to impose ashes.

But as we moved into communion, the ability to give the body of Christ transformed these ashes into new life. Into hope, as I marked the cross on young ones, blessing them, the cross took on new meaning again.

Dust, Ashes, Water, Wheat, Wine. Holy Ground indeed

1 comment:

St. Inuksuk said...

Good piece. Ash Wednesday is a most humbling and moving day.
After your piece, this will seem so trivial and frivolous but I've tagged you for a brief book meme
at signs-along-the-way. (I should learn how to link one of these days! Sorry)
Enjoy a blessed and graced Lent.