Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Industry: Religion

There is no good way to try and define what we do. I suppose we revs are part counselor, part non-profit manager, part academic, part cheerleader, part teacher and part coach. (please feel free to add job description titles) But when the profile asks the kind of industry I am a part of... well, that raises all sorts of questions.

Given the number of catalogues, seminar listings and general swag that comes accross my desk each day, I guess it is no surprise that religion is indeed an industry. The main question is, who is profiting? God? The pastors? the congregants? the least of these...?

I had a professor in seminary who often reminded us that we are the "paid believers" in our congregations. This is often a humbling reminder to me that no matter how frustrated or hopeless I feel about my work, there are people who give of their time and energy to see that this job, this pastoral call, in this small church in this small community- can achieve great things.

Industry: Religion- well, maybe this institution has hope after all.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sometimes I also feel like part babysitter, part financial consultant, part building manager, part mediator, part calling-people-on-their-crap...I'm sure there's a name for that somewhere.

Hmm, religion as an industry...

With the stuff you mention coming across your desk (that invades mine as well), I'm cynical about whether it benefits God. But, perhaps that's my liberal elitism.

But, I would say God benefits from faith - and at it's best religion inspires, strengthens and deepens faith.

Nice to see you with a blog :)